No matter who we are or where we come from, we all deserve to have a decent life. We deserve to know we have the power to take care of ourselves and build our own futures. At Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, this is what unites us. Through shelter, we empower. Our shared vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Our mission of working with the community to build simple, decent, affordable homes has helped over 350 local families the strength, stability, and independence they need to build a better future.
Every day in our city, low-income, hardworking families struggle to find affordable places to live. Rapidly rising rents force these families to live in unsafe, unhealthy and crowded conditions. Families often have to move once or twice a year in search of rents that stay within their reach.
Our mission of working with the community to build simple, healthy, affordable homes has resulted in over 300 local families permanently escaping poverty housing.
a new home, one year later
Rusimbana Ndayarinze knows owning a home is the easy part. Buying a home was the challenge. He knows this because his family has been living in their new home at Habitat’s Glisan Gardens community in Gresham for nearly a year now. Now the small things like mowing the lawn or making repairs feel easy compared to where his family came from.
Rusimbana’s family fled the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1996 at the beginning of the Congolese Civil War. They walked for two months, eventually ending up in Tanzania, where they found the opportunity to come to the U.S. through a refugee resettlement program.
Join us for our most inspirational event of the year at the 17th annual HopeBuilder Breakfast. Enjoy a free breakfast during this one-hour program that includes an update on Habitat’s involvement in the Portland Metro area and testimonials from families who are on their way to homeownership.
register to volunteer
Volunteering with Habitat can take place on one of our construction sites, in our ReStores, or in our main office. Sign up today for a volunteer opportunity.
After volunteering weekly for over a year, this past January dedicated regular Garry Schuman opted for a new kind of Habitat experience. Leaving Portland’s gray skies behind, Garry joined Habitat staff, board members, friends and spouses on his first Global Village volunteer trip to our sister affiliate in sunny Guaymango, El Salvador.
- What are corporate matching gift programs? Have you made a donation to Habitat in the last twelve months? You may be able to double or triple the impact of your donation if your company has a corporate matching gift program! Corporate matching gift programs are charitable giving programs set up by corporations in which the […]
- After volunteering weekly for over a year, this past January dedicated regular Garry Schuman opted for a new kind of Habitat experience. Leaving Portland’s gray skies behind, Garry joined Habitat staff, board members, friends and spouses on his first Global Village volunteer trip to our sister affiliate in sunny Guaymango, El Salvador. Over the course […]
- Mislaydi’s new life after 5 years in her Habitat home Story by Kathy Oxborrow Cuban native, Mislaydi Garcia-Ollet, loves the connection she and her family share with her fellow Habitat homeowners in her neighborhood. Mislaydi lived in the same house in Cuba until the age of 12 when her family moved to the U.S. That […]
- For over two decades, Bank of America has consistently been one of Habitat for Humanity’s biggest supporters. They have generously sponsored numerous homes for hardworking families in the Portland Metro area and continue to support Habitat’s mission of building decent, affordable houses for low-income residents. This year, Bank of America is sponsoring a home for […]
- Joni Portmann is no stranger to paying it forward. After a fire raged through her family’s coastal dairy farm as a child, neighbors gathered every day to help them rebuild—even after working full days on their own farms. A year ago and on the brink of retirement from her 36-year-long career as a dental hygienist, […]
Since 1981, we've built over 350 homes in Portland and Gresham. Take a look at what we're working on today and see how you can get involved!