Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East.
There are no employment positions open at this time. However, we encourage those interested to check this page frequently for future openings. In the meantime, if you’d like to get involved, we encourage you to look at our volunteer opportunities.
PT Salvage Assistant
Department: Portland Metro Habitat for Humanity ReStores
Reports To: Salvage Services Manager
Hourly Rate: $12.50 hour
The primary responsibility is to assist the ReStore Salvage Service in the on-site deconstruction and gathering of salvageable materials for resale in local Habitat for Humanity ReStores.
- Assist salvage service supervisor in the removal and recovery of saleable items from project sites.
- Maintain a commitment to work safely at all times.
- Arrive on-time to job site, dressed appropriately, and prepared for the work.
- Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Protect and maintain tools and safety equipment; alert supervisor of any needs.
- Assist salvage service supervisor in the management and guidance of volunteers as required.
- Safely operate 16ft box truck, including the safe loading and securing of materials, when needed.
- Maintain a safe, fun and productive on-site environment for all staff and volunteers.
- Effectively communicate via phone, text, email and in person.
- Assist at the ReStores and perform other duties as assigned.
- Construction, remodeling or laborer experience.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive large trucks.
- Personal vehicle to meet at job site, stores or office.
- Ability to lift 75 lbs regularly and to team lift heavier items through varied terrain.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to complete repetitive motions throughout the work day.
- Knowledge of deconstruction techniques.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Knowledge construction site safety, lead paint and asbestos hazards.
- Experience in deconstruction.
- Guide and assist volunteers in their work, with respect for each as an individual who has different capabilities.
- Keep volunteers actively engaged in meaningful and appropriate work.
- Ensure that each volunteer feels appreciated and their efforts valued during their time at the ReStore.
- Lead volunteers by example in all aspects of your work.
- Treat each volunteer with patience and respect, without regard to background, appearance, abilities, sex, creed etc.
- Report problems, concerns or inconsistencies with volunteers to the Volunteer Development Manager in a timely manner so that issues can be addressed appropriately.
- Be courteous and professional.
- Know and understand the goals of the Restore.
- Communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Learn about Habitat for Humanity and the ReStore, and be able to communicate our mission and purpose to volunteers and customers.
- Be able to work in a team environment as a team member.
- Work within the guidelines of Habitat for Humanity.
- Help create an atmosphere within the Restore that encourages and fosters an open sharing of ideas, concerns, and hopes.
Competitive hourly pay, vacation, holiday and sick leave.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Position open until filled.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East expects all staff, board and volunteers to behave in a way that reinforces the mission and founding principles of the organization. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, therefore, does not discriminate against any employee, volunteer, partner family or applicant for a Habitat home on the basis of race, color, cultural heritage, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, physical condition, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state, or federal law. This policy extends to all personnel decisions, terms and conditions of employment, vendor contracts and provision of services. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East does not tolerate harassment for any reason. Respect for the dignity of others shall be the guiding principle for our relations with each other. Want to know more? Read our Frequently Asked Questions or see who qualifies for our program. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization. If you would like more information about our organization or programs, please contact us at 503-287-9529. Thank you for your interest!