Director of Housing Development
Supervisor: President and CEO
Status: Full-time / Exempt
Salary: Low to mid-50s DOE, plus benefits
The Director of Housing Development will lead Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East’s team of real estate and construction professionals in a coordinated effort to ensure that new real estate developments are brought from acquisition to building permits through to final sale on time and on budget. This position is responsible for managing the project development process, overseeing the government entitlement process, determining economic feasibility for affordability, developing financial pro formas, establishing time and cost schedules for project phases, guiding funding applications for private and government project funding, and working with local community groups during the planning and development process. The position is a part of the organization’s senior leadership team.
General Administration and Planning
- Create department budget for program, staffing and other general administrative needs
- Participate in the development and implementation of the strategic plan
- Regularly attend Board meetings
- Supervise Project Manager and Construction Manager and monitor all Housing Development staff: provide feedback, monitoring, coaching, and formal evaluations to ensure quality and adherence to operating plans as well as interdepartmental coordination and harmony
Site Acquisition and Due Diligence
- Maintain standard procedures for acquisition and due diligence in coordination with Executive Director and other departments
- Negotiate property purchase terms and purchase contracts
- Coordinate review by Senior Leadership Team of acquisition opportunities before entering into contracts
- Facilitate Senior Leadership Teams review on acquisition after due diligence complete
Design and Consultants
- Lead management of design process along with Project Manager, from hiring consultants to building permit issuance
- Develop and maintain standardized contracts for various consultants
- Monitor consultants’ work and relationship with organization; ensure consultants adhere to work product delivery schedules
- Negotiate consultant contracts and execute consultant and other non-construction contracts.
- Lead design process with Construction and Homeowner Relations departments to ensure a fully consultative design process.
- Maintain procedures for design criteria and green program implementation
- Oversee the development of the fiscal year project budgets and cash flow projections
- Review financial projections and ensure projects keep on budget; provide early identification of potential budget overruns.
- Support investigation, application, and securing public and private financing for projects.
Community Acceptance and Approvals
- In partnership with Grants Manager, represent Habitat project proposals before government agencies and community organizations
- Oversee local government entitlement and approval process.
Project and Construction Management
- Prepare and update long range project schedule for organization periodically as needed
- Ensure project schedules are met; provide early identification of potential schedule delays to Sr. Leadership.
- Review and approve project schedules created by Project Manager.
- Fully communicate with Sr. Leadership team, staff, board of directors on project progress or key issues and findings monthly
- Maintain bidding and procurement documents and supervise adherence to policy
- Responsible for overall management of Habitat construction projects
APPLICATION PACKETS MUST INCLUDE:
- A complete resume, including dates of employment.
- The names and contact information for four references.
- A cover letter including answers to the following questions:
- How have the personal and professional experiences in your life prepared and directed you to apply for this position?
- How did you hear about this position?
To apply, submit the above information to Steve Messinetti by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “HFH” in the subject by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 11, 2011.This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer.
The mission of Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is to create successful homeownership by partnering hardworking families in need with the community to build healthy, affordable homes.