Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East has been named one of 14 “Affiliates of Distinction” by Habitat for Humanity International for its achievements and innovation in serving Portland and Gresham. This is the first year Portland has been selected into this award program.
“We are honored to be recognized as an Affiliate of Distinction,” said Steve Messinetti, President and CEO of Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East. “It’s a testament to our wonderful donors, volunteers and community who step up each day to make Portland a great place for everyone to live.”
Launched in 2013, Affiliates of Distinction was established by Habitat for Humanity International to honor U.S. affiliates that meet or exceed best-practice standards. Recipients maintain their recognition for two years, after which they reapply for the following award period.
The 2015-2017 awardees include:
- Austin Habitat for Humanity (Texas)
- Genesee County Habitat for Humanity (Michigan)
- Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity (Iowa)
- Habitat for Humanity Huron Valley (Michigan)
- Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte (North Carolina)
- Habitat for Humanity of East Bay/Silicon Valley (California)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (California)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater San Francisco (California)
- Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County (Indiana)
- Habitat for Humanity Seattle-King County (Washington)
- Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity (Wisconsin)
- Our Town of North Mecklenburg-Iredell County (North Carolina)
- Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East (Oregon)
- Sacramento Habitat for Humanity (California)
The 14 Habitat affiliates will be recognized during a special ceremony at Habitat’s biennial U.S. Affiliate Conference on March 26.
Habitat affiliates considered for the honor were reviewed by seven criteria: sustainable and green building; overall organizational leadership; community development; financial sustainability; alignment with Habitat for Humanity’s strategic plan; effective use of technology to better communication with the public; and support for Habitat’s global mission.