THANK YOU for agreeing to host a table at this year’s HopeBuilder Breakfast on Wednesday, April 24, 2019! We have a great program planned – including an inspiring keynote from Cheryl Strayed, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling memoir WILD, the New York Times bestsellers TINY BEAUTIFUL THINGS and BRAVE ENOUGH, and the novel TORCH. Her books have been translated into forty languages around the world. WILD was chosen by Oprah Winfrey as her first selection for Oprah’s Book Club 2.0. There will also be a moving documentary and testimonial about how Habitat has changed the lives of a local, hardworking family, as well as an update about our work in the Portland Metro area.
I really believe in this breakfast because it’s so much more than a fundraising event – it’s a chance for us to see the Habitat mission stir in the hearts of 1,000+ people. At the end of the hour, we are all thinking – “This is my community, I need to do something!” – and there’s such power in that. As you work to fill your table with friends and colleagues, please keep in mind that you are making a tangible difference in the lives of people who are not looking for a hand out, they just want a chance to escape poverty, with a hand up. The funds raised and friends made at this breakfast will be critical in helping Habitat’s plans to break ground on 50 homes and repair 30 more with families in the Portland Metro area this year.
As a Table Host, there are only 4 things I need from you:
- Fill your table of 10… Fill your table of 10… Fill your table of 10!
- Send out the Confirmation card. As soon as someone says yes, email them the link below to the Confirmation page on our website.
- Make your Reminder emails. One week prior to the event (so on Wed, April 17), email your guests and remind them the breakfast is the following Wednesday.
- When your table is full, send your guest names to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will use this list only to create nametags for your table. The list should include first, last and company name. We only save seats for those names we have received.
Thank you again for your willingness to take this on! I know you are busy, and your time spent on this project really will make such a difference! If you have any questions, please contact Marianne McClure at 503.287.9529 ext. 14 or email@example.com.
How to Fill a Table
Is asking difficult?
Are you a little uneasy about asking folks to sit at your table? Before making your calls or sending your emails, “get in the mood” by thinking about the following questions. If you can say “yes” to these questions, these calls will be easy! If you need additional encouragement, read the stories of the families who are waiting for a home at habitatportlandmetro.org.
1. Do you believe that one person can make a difference? Imagine what happens when you multiply that by 10 people.
2. Do you believe that everyone has the right to a simple, decent and affordable place to live?
3. Let your belief be greater than your fear of asking. Be proud, this is a great way to change lives!
- Some people will say no, and that’s totally ok, but asking gives them the option to say yes. You are an active member of your community – let your enthusiasm about helping Habitat shine through in your voice.
- Put yourself in your friend’s shoes. You’ve received calls like these before, and your first thought may have been, “…but I’m so busy.” That will probably be their thought too. But this will be a worthwhile 1 hour. In the end, they will thank you for the invitation – it happens every year!
- You are not asking people for money, you are asking them for an hour. If they want to support the mission with a donation, that’s great. If they want to pick up a hammer, donate services or building materials, that’s great too. Our work takes the skills and resources of our entire community.
Email Suggested Invitation Wording
“I am writing to see if you would be interested in attending Habitat for Humanity’s 19th annual HopeBuilder Breakfast on Wednesday, April 24th, featuring Cheryl Strayed, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling memoir WILD.
The HopeBuilder Breakfast is a powerful and inspiring opportunity to find out more about Habitat for Humanity’s work in our local community. Enjoy a free breakfast during this uplifting one-hour program. In addition to keynote speaker Cheryl Strayed, guests will enjoy a moving documentary about a local family whose lives are forever impacted by Habitat. More event details at habitatportlandmetro.org/hbb.
Will you consider sitting at my table? It’s free to attend.”
Share a link, PDF, or both to your guests.
Send out a pdf of or a link to our confirmation info to all of your confirmed guests 3-4 weeks before the event.