About Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. We are an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement. We welcome people from all walks of life to partner with us in serving families in need and creating a better community for everyone who lives here.
We work with qualified, low-income families to help them realize the dream of owning their own home. We believe that building equity is a long-term solution to the problem of generational poverty. Habitat is the only organization that offers homeownership opportunities to hardworking families making as little as $20,800 (for a family of four). We do this through a hand-up model in which the homeowner helps to build and then buys their home from Habitat.
Here’s how it works: after completing 500 sweat equity hours, the family signs their 0% interest mortgage and makes monthly payments that are based on less than 30% of their monthly income. These payments go into the Revolving Fund for Humanity to pay it forward, helping to build more homes.
Additionally, Habitat offers home repair services to low-income homeowners, using the same 0%-interest loan and sweat equity model.
Instead of being in a vulnerable and fragile economic position, Habitat families find themselves in a position of strength. Our homeowners are committed and successful. We have experienced less than a 1% default rate on our mortgages, lower than the national average. By providing a hand up, not a handout, our program prepares and empowers those we serve.
A community where everyone has a simple, decent, affordable place to live; and where poverty housing is unacceptable.
To create successful homeownership by partnering hardworking families in need with the community to build healthy, affordable homes.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness – We believe that all people deserve a simple, decent place to live, and have something to contribute in building homes and helping our communities. We welcome people from all walks of life to partner with our program.
- Homeownership – We believe in the power of homeownership to affirm dignity, encourage hope, and transform lives. A healthy, stable home improves the quality of life, both for the family and the community.
- Families as Partners – We believe that dignity is promoted not simply by living in an adequate house, but by fully contributing to the process of building and buying that home and helping others acquire adequate shelter.
- Volunteerism – We believe in the volunteer spirit and are committed to offering rewarding volunteer experiences.
- Stewardship – We are committed to excellence, to efficient use of our financial, environmental, and human resources, and we are accountable to our funders, volunteers, and family partners.
- Collaboration – We strive to create strong, productive partnerships with organizations and area housing providers toward our common goal of eliminating substandard housing.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East expects all staff, board and volunteers to behave in a way that reinforces the mission and founding principles of the organization.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, therefore, does not discriminate against any employee, volunteer, partner family or applicant for a Habitat home on the basis of race, color, cultural heritage, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, physical condition, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state, or federal law. To request accommodations needed to access any of our services, please contact Sharon Weijo at 503.287.9529 x10 or email@example.com. This policy extends to all personnel decisions, terms and conditions of employment, vendor contracts and provision of services. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East does not tolerate harassment for any reason. Respect for the dignity of others shall be the guiding principle for our relations with each other.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization. If you would like more information about our organization or programs, please contact us at 503.287.9529. Thank you for your interest!