stability and self-reliance
At Habitat for Humanity, we believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their full potential, and that starts with a stable and healthy place to call home. Founded in 1981, we have built and repaired homes in partnership with over 1,700 people right here in the Portland Metro region. With plans to triple the number of people we serve every year, we are invested in creating a Portland where everyone has the opportunity to build a better life.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is a part of a global nonprofit housing organization that works in communities across all 50 states in the U.S. and in 70 countries.
Vision: A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
- No two events have had a greater impact on Portland’s …
- After a 14-month training with the Center for Equity and …
- Colise has done more in one life than most dream …
- Portland is known nationally and across the globe as one …
All Are Welcome
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East has an open-door policy: All who believe that everyone needs a decent, affordable place to live are welcome to help with the work, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, political views or any of the other distinctions that too often divide people. In short, Habitat welcomes homebuyers, volunteers and supporters from all backgrounds. As a matter of policy, Habitat for Humanity and its affiliate organizations will not proselytize. Nor will Habitat work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with Habitat. This means that Habitat will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must adhere to or convert to a particular faith or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to some of our most frequently asked questions on all things Habitat for Humanity.
Our cultural compact was created in 2019 through a collaborative and facilitated process involving all staff. Learn more about what we most value about our organization, as well as what we aspire towards.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: We believe that all people deserve a decent place to live and have something to contribute in building homes and helping our communities. We welcome people from all backgrounds to partner with our programs.
- Homeownership: We believe in the power of homeownership to build strength, stability, and self-reliance. A healthy, stable home improves the quality of life, both for the homeowners and the community.
- Partnership: We believe in the value of partnerships with homebuyers/owners as they contribute to the process of building and buying or repairing their home while completing homeownership education classes.
- Volunteerism: We believe in the volunteer spirit and are committed to offering rewarding volunteer experiences.
- Stewardship: We are committed to excellence and to the efficient use of our financial, environmental, and human resources. We are accountable to our funders, volunteers, community partners, and homebuyers/owners.
- Collaboration: We strive to create strong, productive partnerships with organizations and area housing providers working toward our common goal of improving housing affordability.
Habitat for Humanity International’s Mission
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East expects all staff, board and volunteers to behave in a way that reinforces the mission and founding principles of the organization.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, therefore, does not discriminate against any employee, volunteer, partner family or applicant for a Habitat home on the basis of race, color, cultural heritage, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, physical condition, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state, or federal law. To request accommodations needed to access any of our services, please call 503.287.9529 x10 or email email@example.com. This policy extends to all personnel decisions, terms and conditions of employment, vendor contracts and provision of services. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East does not tolerate harassment for any reason. Respect for the dignity of others shall be the guiding principle for our relations with each other.
As a matter of policy, Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations do not proselytize. This means that Habitat will not offer assistance to the expressed or implied condition that people must either adhere to or convert to a particular faith, or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
Want to know more? Read our Frequently Asked Questions or see who qualifies for our program. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization. To view our most recent IRS Form 990, please visit guidestar.org. If you would like more information about our organization or programs, please contact us at 503.287.9529. Thank you for your interest!